- foot fault
1. : a fault called against a server in tennis by reason of his failure to keep both feet behind the base line or because of walking, running, or failure to maintain contact with the ground during the delivery of a service2. : the stepping over the end line in volleyball while serving or over the center line while playing
* * *Tennis.a fault consisting in the failure of the server to keep both feet behind the base line until the ball is hit or to keep at least one foot on the ground while hitting the ball.[1885-90]
* * *foot fault noun (tennis)A fault made by stepping over the baseline when serving• • •Main Entry: ↑foot
* * *foot fault,(in lawn tennis) a fault committed by the server if he fails to maintain contact with the ground or if he brings either foot across the base line before hitting the ball.foot|fault «FUT FLT», intransitive verb.to make a foot fault.–v.t.to record a foot fault against (a player).
* * *1.n. (in tennis, squash, and similar games) an infringement of the rules made by incorrect placement of the feet when serving2.v. (foot-fault) [intrans.] (of a player) make a foot fault
in his anxiety he foot-faulted■ [trans.] award a foot fault against (a player)
he was foot-faulted by the umpire
* * *noun, pl ⋯ faults [count]tennis : the mistake of not keeping your feet behind the baseline when you serve
* * *ˈfoot fault f2 [foot fault] noun
Useful english dictionary. 2012.